**DISCLAIMER: This was written as a tribute for
Mother’s Day, but not finished until now…**
As a son and father of a son who are both blessed with
wonderful mamas, I think it’s high time to take back the term ‘mama’s boy.’
‘Daddy’s girls’ wear t-shirts trumpeting the label, but a mama’s boy – that’s
something we should be ashamed of. Come on. In my opinion if you’ve ever been
called one you are one lucky mama’s boy.
I remember the moment vividly. I was 12, standing at the phone
that sat on a dresser in my parent’s bedroom. It was a Friday afternoon in late
summer and I was packed and ready to head out for the Boy Scout camp out that
weekend. There were major storms predicted over the next few days due to a
hurricane that was about to hit the Gulf Coast. The fate of the camping trip
appeared in jeopardy, or so I thought.
I called the scout master to ask if we would still be
going given the forecast. His direct response was swift and incredulous: “Don’t
be a mama’s boy, Carlisle. A little
thunder and lightning isn’t going to scare us away.”
I could feel his eyes roll through the phone. I hung up
feeling embarrassed; my ears stinging and face red. Being called a ‘mama’s boy’
was mortifying.
I told my mom the verdict and the look on her face was skeptical.
I told my mom the verdict and the look on her face was skeptical.
“It will be fine,” I said quickly. Feeling resolved to
force myself through the weekend without fear and working hard to appear
annoyed at my mom for even assuming we might stay indoors during major storms.
I went on the camping trip and endured the mocking laughs
of the scout master the entire rain-soaked weekend as he loudly told the tale
of my call over the sound of pounding rain, “Carlisle thought we couldn’t
handle this weather.” He said over and over, laughing loudly. We indeed
survived the weekend, soggy and miserable.
I am sure any young guy with a loving mama has been
caught in this same situation and there were more instances beyond the
storm-threatened camping trip that I can recall warranted the labeling. In fact,
the summer before I started college, my mother drove with me to Tuscaloosa to
find the house I was going to for a pledge party so I could do it myself the
next day and not get lost. Mama’s boy?
I am now the father of a 3 month old and even at that young
age I can see the look of peace on H’s face when his mama holds him. When he is
restless or anxious for any reason, the sound of her voice soothes him and he
is quickly sound asleep or cooing contently. The two of them were made to be
nap partners. They could win an award for it. Together, they nap hard. I love
to watch them with one another, matched perfectly together. He is a mama’s boy
and I am damn proud of it.
Looking back, I shouldn’t have been embarrassed with the
name calling of my scout master. I should embrace it. We all should. In my
opinion it just means you have a mama who loves you so much that it might cause
occasional embarrassment, as she tries to do all she can to make the world a better
and safer place for her child. And what
loving mother wouldn’t do that for a son or daughter? You say mama’s boy, I say
well-loved.
Mamas are a special thing. Being a mama’s boy isn’t so
bad after all.
So sweet! I hope my boys stay MAMAS BOYS! And UH to that that scout master.
ReplyDelete