Wednesday, July 4, 2012

M - I - Double S - I - Double S - I - P - P - I

I am a Mississippian by marriage. Prior to meeting C, I knew very little about the mirror-image state to the west. Its only novelty was a spelling that included crooked letters and humpbacks. 

In the 11 years I have known C, I have come to really appreciate the Magnolia state. Its people are creative, kind, and generous. Beyond that, there is another common thread that weaves them together -- Mississippians love their home state. Love. There is a belief God created the Heavens and the Earth. Just before he rested on the seventh day, he said, "let me make something extra special." That something special: Mississippi. 

Every year, displaced Mississippians from our region gather to celebrate at Mississippi on the Mall. They may no longer live within its borders, but they still call it home and love it just as deeply. With plates full of catfish and cups full of cold beer, it is hard not to feel like you're really there. 

This year we took H to help him get in touch with his southern roots. 


We saw friends.




Grand Mar's visit coincided with the celebration.


Even our North Carolina cousins joined the action. 




H is now ready for his inaugural trip to the South in August.




No comments:

Post a Comment