Friday, August 10, 2012
Farewell Nanny Cousin
C and I are much too young to relate to the empty nesters whose children have gone off to college. However, with Nanny Cousin L's departure, we certainly feel their pain. Nanny Cousin was the perfect addition to our household this summer, and with her gone we feel like something big is missing. She loved H like he was her own, and made my transition from maternity leave to work so much easier. C and I liked to joke that we had an adult daughter and a baby boy, but in reality she helped keep the Campbell family trains running and was a close friend to both of us.
When I think about how all the stars aligned for her to live with us, I know that it was guided by divine intervention. Let's take a trip down memory lane and put the pieces together.
Nanny Cousin L and I are first cousins. Not only that, her mom and my mom are identical twins. That makes us super cousins.
Every year our family gathers for a big Thanksgiving celebration that includes the traditional turkey and dressing, an Iron Bowl watching party, and now that we are older, an annual trip to the local bar. A few years ago we were all riding high as our beloved Crimson Tide beat that team that shall not be named. This was one of the last big hurdles before the Tide won the 2009 National Championship. This was cause for a major celebration, so we took the party to a movie and then drinks.
As we walked home a little over-served, I told Nanny Cousin that one day in the future C and I would have a baby and she would come live with us during her summer break and be our nanny.
Fast forward three years. Baby H enters the world in February. My maternity leave ends just after time Nanny Cousin finishes her sophomore year of college. Nanny Cousin wants to get away for the summer. Baby H needs a caregiver. Everyone wins. My wishes have come true.
Her presence was a blessing to our family and all three of us miss her very much. Nanny Cousin, we can't wait for you to come back and visit soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lovely tribute to Nanny Cousin L!
ReplyDelete